Monday, October 29, 2007

West Point Clinic

Saturday I went to a clinic at West Point. It was fantastic. This clinic taught moving dynamic partner drills. The material they covered and how they covered it was great. Not only did the drills help me for that day but I will be able to take these drills and use them at the YMCA. The clinicians Bill Montgomery and Joan Love were great. They had a very very similar outlook/philosophy to Judo training that I have which makes absorbing the info much easier when you are already on the same page so to speak. I wont go into details on the philosophies or the drills really at this point but the more free time I have the more I will write about this clinic and what we went over and WHY.

Here is a list of the Throwing drills we did:

3's
1 tore 2 uki tore runs up to uke uke moves in one direction tore fits in for throw

ouchi - kouchi down the mat

seionage moving backwards JUMPING IN

seionage moving forwards

slide all around mat clockwise fit in

slide around mat counter clockwise fit in

tori moving forward taitoshi

tori moving forwar tsuri goshi

tori moving forward kouchi - taio - left seo uke does osoto dont break grip

tori moving backwards right osoto left osoto

tori moving forward left deashi right deashi

sideways okuri to harai

backwards Hiza guruma/ Sase

Here are some Ne-waza Drills

Four breakdowns:
1. Power half- run it into Kami Shio gatame

2. Power half uke raises up you go under grab elbow

3.Power half- uke pulls arm in to prevent armlock, you raise arm up and then switch up arm rick hawn style

4. Waki gatame armlock

Also a spinning juji jatame armlock

and a Celita Schultz style roll into a pin

Ok so maybe some of those drills make sense by reading.. maybe they dont. I just needed to write them down so I could refer back to them. Not sure when but I will video tape myself and some people doing these drills and get them up on YouTube.

We also got to do a good amount of randori both standing and newaza which was cool.. I got to go w/ a few real good black belts as well as a whole bunch of other people both from West Point and some of the visiting clubs.

I also earned my national level coaching certification which means I can OFFICIALLY sit in the coaching chair at any US tournament, open an official Judo club, etc etc

AHHH this post does not do the clinic justice it really was the best overall clinic Ive ever been to and Ive been to a decent amount. I really hope the Y people take to these drills.. if not oh well then they can just hate doin em cause IM gonna run these drills as much as possible in the next few months :)

No comments: