Monday, October 8, 2007

East Coast Championships 10 6 2007

East Coast Championships 10 6 2007

Ok so I was up at 6. Left to meet Tim and Matt to to leave for the tournament. On the way we meet up with Chris, Joe and Frank. Chris and Joe didnt compete and it was Franks First competition. Which I didnt even realize. He definately didnt fight like it either.

Anyway we were weighed in by 10 and I didnt fight til like 215 or so. I was feeling pretty good when I was called for my first match. This was the first tournament where I didnt spend the whole day coaching. Although it is somewhat selfish I think I am going to stick to this for several reasons. I was much more prepared for my matches. I spent lots of time warming up and fitting in on throws and doing some grip fighting. It really got me focused and ready. Also It didnt seem to hurt the results of our competitors. Most still medaled and did very very well. Obviously I would love to do both but I really feel it takes too much out of my fights both mentally and physically to do at big tournaments. Its unfortuante but true. One of the main things I didnt like about it was that I really dont know how everyone did.

Ok on to my fights.

First fight went the distance. I won on points I threw him twice with Seonage but had 1 penalty against me for illegal entry to mat work from doing a Seonage.

Second fight went the distance as well. I lost this match and it was a real close and good match. I got thrown twice and threw him twice but my throws didnt score too high. I might have had a penalty too. not really sure. I shouldve one this fight. Shows me I need better conditioning and strength.

Third fight I won when I countered a throw with TeGuruma for ippon.

Fourth fight went the distance I was ahead the whole match and stuck mainly to Seonage I had 1 Wazari and was quite content to 'ride the match out' to take the W.

Fifth fight was for silver. This match lasted about 20 seconds. I got to use my new Guruma/Gake throw. It was pretty good and was ippon. I won and took silver.

So here is what I am taking away from this tournament. Time to get stronger and in better shape. Work Guruma/Gake on the other side. Work hiza Guruma to Seonage. More foot sweeps. More 'Reser' attacks.

I recieved some great coaching both on and off the matt during the tournament and it really helped me during some of my matches and im really greatful of that besides my official coach I got great tips from Chris Costello of Pocono Mountain Judo. I also got some great tips from Serge from Mayo Quanchi and that was great.

Still lots of work to do but I feel pretty good about my performance.

Thanks to all who came out there to support me.

No comments: