Wednesday, October 24, 2007

PMJC

Chris is on fire. He always finds a way to make sure we had a great workout. A few people didnt show or were hurt but it was like it didnt even matter.

Started working turnovers with Matt. When I turtle if he can punch an arm in from the front he is pretty good to go from there. We worked the finish mor then anything else and I think what he was doing was real valuable I'd love to see him pop someone over with these.

I need to work these more and more. When someone turtles if you really want to turn them you gotta work at a fast pace with loads of intensity and then still probably need a bit of luck. Chris also demonstrated the value of HOOKING an arm during newaza transitions. He didnt really go over this just got people around and started turning me or pinning me and as I transitioned he just showed that its never to late to hook an arm and pin the guy.

Then we did a guard pass / guard retention drill. I rocked at these :) J/K but seriously I did. I like guard work. Ive spent a lot of time working passing the guard and submitting from there. I used to suck now I'm decent. But I got paired with matt and Brent. I passed or sub'd each time in guard and passed guard each time too.. or close to it.

Worked with Matt on these too and he picked up LOADS of stuff just doing these drills. I think his best bet was to get off to one side and just crush/trap an arm and hold a guy in. He was able to generate some pressure by squeezing together but his arms is where he was really controlling.

Then we did Newaza Randori. I went with Matt first I dont think either of us got anything. Thats cool no probs there. Cant remember much.

Then I went to Tony.. maybe Brent too but cant remember. Lots of guard stuff again. Mainly sweeps and armlocks from there.

Crashpad. Some Cross grip seonages and Kouchi. I want to work straight Kouchi makikomi more then my ippon seonage style Kouchi.

Randori. I think I fought Chris first. I hadnt fought him in a while and very little changed. He threw me for one real nice ippon with an ankle pick off a seonage fake.. Great stuff.. i was just bracing waiting for the seonage and he dumped me on my back. I didnt score but had some decent entries... he might have gotten a few smaller scores also and I did manage to avoid some of his throws.

Fought Tony/Brent Worked on footsweeps a lot and my normal throws as well.

Fought Mike. Mike is a good wrestler with some bjj exp. Great combo to walk in to judo with. This guy will be real good if he just sticks with it.

Ok long ass post.. stinks I will not be at PMJC for a week because this weekend IM going to a clinic at west point.. should be cool.

No comments: